About the Department
Established in the year 2002, with 60 students, the Department of Mechanical Engineering has blossomed to 360 students in 2014 as a full- fledged state of the art facility, a centre of excellence for Quality Education. The Department boasts of highly qualified and experienced professionals with wide exposure in all aspects of the subjects they handle. Many faculties possess/ pursue PhD and are involved in research and consultancy projects including friction stir processing, welding, advanced machining, nano composite materials, alternate fuels, additives, tribology and wear.
The students of the department have consistently performed well in academics with 3 gold medals and 125 University ranks so far. In addition to academics, the students career is enhanced through training in soft skills, personality development and placement training classes. With industrial and field experts, value added programs such as CNC Machine Programming, CATIA, PIPING-SOFTWARE, CFD, SAP and GATE are regularly conducted. The major recruiters of the department include Yamaha, Ashok Leyland, Mahindra, F.L.Smidth, MRF, TCS, Infosys, Wipro, CTS. Many students also pursue higher studies at reputed national and international universities
Vision and Mission
Dr. L. Karthikeyan, M.E, Ph.D
Professor and Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering
He has more than 18 years of Teaching and Research experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering. He believes in the accessibility of science and technology to all addressing the specific needs of the community.
He has completed his B.E at A.C. College of Engineering and Technology, Karaikudi and M.E., from P.S.G College of Technology. He has received his Ph.D. from College of Engineering Guindy Campus, Anna University, one among the top ten technical universities in India.
His research interests include Friction Stir Processing, Friction Stir Welding, Superplastic forming and Composite Machining. As a research scholar he has contributed substantially towards the successful completion of a major research project to tune of Rs. 9.91 Lakh funded by U.G.C, Delhi.
- Mechanical Properties and Micro structural changes during Friction Stir Processing of Cast Aluminum 2285 Alloy, L. Karthikeyan, V.S. Senthil Kumar, V. Balasubramanian, S. Natarajan, Materials and Design, 30 (6), 2237-2242.
- On the Role of Process Variables in the Friction Stir Processing of Cast Aluminum A319 Alloy, L. Karthikeyan, V.S. Senthil Kumar, K.A.Padmanabhan, Materials and Design 31 (2), 761-771.
- Relationship between process parameters and mechanical properties of friction stir processed AA6063-T6 aluminum alloy, L. Karthikeyan, V.S. Senthil Kumar, Materials & Design, 32, 3085-3091.
- Multi Characteristics Optimization During Milling Of Friction Stir Processed Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic Composites, B. Balamugundan, L. Karthikeyan, .S. Senthil Kumar Procedia, Engineering, 38, 12761285.
- Investigations on Superplastic Forming Of Friction Stir Processed AA6063-T6 Aluminum alloy, L. Karthikeyan, V.S. Senthil Kumar, K.A.Padmanabhan, Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 28(3), 294-298.
- Influence of Process Parameters on Limiting Drawing Ratio of IS 513 CR3 Grade steel sheet during Warm Deep Drawing, T. Mayavan, L. Karthikeyan, Applied Materials Research, 984-985, 62-66.
- Feasibility of Fabricating HDPE Nanocomposites Using a Specially Designed Friction Stir Process Tooling System, B. Balamugundan, L. Karthikeyan, M. Puviyarasan, Polymer(Korea), ISSN 2234-8077 ,Vol. 42, No. 1, 20-28.
Programme Educational Objectives(PEO)
- Graduates will contribute to the industrial and societal needs as per the recent developments using knowledge acquired through basic engineering education and training.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate technical knowledge and skills in their career with systems perspective, analyze, design, develop, optimize, and implement complex mechanical systems.
- Graduates will be able to work in multidisciplinary environment developing complex mechanical systems.
- Graduates will work as a team or as an individual with utmost commitment towards the completion of assigned task using apt communication, technical and management skills.
- Graduate will recognize the importance of professional development by pursuing higher studies in various specializations.
Programme Outcomes (PO)
- Engineering knowledge:
Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis:
Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions:
Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems:
Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage:
Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society
Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability:
Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work:
Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance:
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning :
Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSO)
- Fundamental Domain Knowledge: Design mechanical systems in various fields of machine elements, thermal, manufacturing, industrial and inter disciplinary fields using engineering/technological tools.
- Usage of software programs: Resolve new challenges in Mechanical Engineering using modern computer tools and software programs.
- Continual learning and Research : Develop intellectual and technical solution to complex mechanical problems through continual learning and research.
|S.No||Title of the Program||Program Start Date (DD/MM/YYYY)||Program End Date (DD/MM/YYYY)||Duration ( in Days)||Number of Participants||Total Expenses (In Rupees)|
|1||Engine assembly and disassembly||28/06/2018||29/06/2018||2||76||44400|
|3||Internet of Things||25/06/2018||27/06/2018||3||74||75000|
|4||Non Destructive Testing||17/12/2018||18/12/2018||2||18||11400|
|S.No||Title of the Program||Organizing Agency / Institute Name||Program End Date (DD/MM/ YYYY)||ProgramDuration(in Days)||Total Number of Participants||Award /Position /Recognition Secured|
|1||TRIDENIS 2K18||VELAMMAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLO GY,CHENNAI||01/09/2018||01/09/2018||1||3||1 ST PLACE|
|2||GOKARTCHAMPI ON SHIP||LPU-PUNJAB||15/03/2019||18/03/2019||4||18||1 ST PLACE in AUTOCROSS|
|3||Bharath formula karting champions||CADD Technologie s,Coimbator e,Tamilnadu||02/08/2018||04/08/2018||3||65||–|
|4||Bharath formula karting champions||CADD Technologie s, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu||28/02/2019||02/03/2019||3||46||–|
|5||6th gokart design challenge||INDIAN SOCIETY OF NEW ERA ENGINEER SGREATER NOIDA,UTT RAPRADES H||22/02/2019||27/02/2019||6||16||–|
|6||KINGS KARTING CHAMPHIO SHIP||KINGS ENGINNERI NG COLLEGE,CHENNAI||09/01/2019||11/01/2019||3||25||–|
Department Survey Forms
End of the Course
The Department Library has separate from central and other libries which provides the staff and students latest informations in technical education research and development activities.
|Dept||Total No. of Volumes||Total No. of Titles|
|Dept. of MECH.||1925||462|
These Library subscribes 32936 National & International E-Journals including
- Mcgraw Hill
Journal In addition 4211 E-Books in all the fields of Engineering, Management, Basic Science and Humanities is the regular feature of our library. Every effort has been made to obtain all titles recommended by the faculty